This location offers a nice view to the Bowling Green, the Kurhaus Colonnade and the Kurpark.
The monument was built by the Berlin sculptor Joseph Uphues in 1897 and was transported from Berlin to Wiesbaden. After a few discussions about an adequate location for the monument the empress decided to choose the former theatre square.
That's why the monument of Schiller had to be moved to another location, which wasn't that easy. Therefore the Kaiser Friedrich monument today stands on the fundament of the poet.