The Richard Wagner Park

The Richard Wagner Park, decorated by a monument to the Duke Adolf of Nassau, was opened to the public in 1909.

Recreation Areas - Richard Wagner Park

The park, which is larger than three and a half hectares and today is also known as "Henkell Park" due to its location across the street from the sparkling wine cellars of Henkell, was created thanks to the initiative and donation of an exmajor in the former army of Nassau. This is how a park came to be created around the monument to Adolf of Nassau in harmony with a neighbourhood of villas on an open space between Wiesbaden Avenue (today's Biebricher Allee) and "Volkerstrasse". The composer whose name the park bears and who worked in the city of Biebrich, at that time still a separate entity, once planned to have an opera house built on the city-owned grounds of what was once a sand quarry.